Whenever you shop on UK-based retail sites, there are nine safeguards protecting you:
1. Payment: If your credit or debit card is used fraudulently in the EU, the card company must refund you.
2. Get the supplier's phone number and postal address.
3. Records: Keep a copy of what you've ordered, plus the supplier's confirmation message.
4. Quality: Your high street consumer rights apply online.
5. Cooling off: In many cases in the EU the law lets you change your mind and get a refund within 7 working days of the delivery.
6. You should use sites you know or which have been recommended to you.
7. Online protection: Don't forget that you must be given key details before you buy such as the supplier's postal address. Also, items must be delivered within 30 days unless otherwise agreed.
8. Technology helps: Look for a closed padlock sign at the bottom of the screen. It shows that your details are protected when you submit them.
9. If in doubt always contact the shop either by telephone or email before disclosing any personal information.